We are beyond happy to announce that Camp Eagle Ridge is running as scheduled!
We have been preparing:
- Attending webinars and zoom meetings with the American Camp Association, who is working in conjunction with the CDC (Centers For Disease Control), and Environmental Health & Engineering, Inc.
- Partnering with our local Health Officials.
- Collaborating with other Camp Professionals
- Analyzing our unique program, location and staff to assess our specific needs and risks.
As a result, we strongly believe that we can offer children and families an experience this summer that minimizes the risk of COVID-19 while building our kids emotional, social and mental health. We believe that the rewards far outweigh the risk.
A few weeks ago, I spoke on the phone with a long time camper who said “I told my mom that Kelly would never let anything bad happen to any of us.” Simultaneously, my heart swelled knowing how he trusted and believed in myself and my staff; while also recognizing that as much as I, like all parents, never want anything bad to happen with a child, I am not all powerful. If I could guarantee that no one would ever get an illness, I would (and I’d be Queen of the World).
But here’s the reality – and here’s the honest moment that was shared with another Camp Director recently – we are NOT Super Heroes. We’re human, just like everyone else.
None of us are perfect. And camp’s not perfect, although we idealize it to be. We cannot guarantee – although we’re taking many precautions – camp will be COVID-19 free this summer. Any of us who are in attendance at Camp Eagle Ridge this summer are potentially at risk of being exposed to COVID-19. We will be doing our best to manage the risk. I put that in writing because we need to be accountable and honest. We don’t want Coronavirus at camp.
The “Camp Bubble”
- Currently zero cases in Ashland County (there were only 2, both of which are resolved)
- Our staff is arriving to camp between June 1-6 giving us more than 2 weeks of quarantine together.
- We will not be allowing “guests” or visitors at camp this summer without a timely negative COVID-19 test result.
- We spend the majority of time outside at camp.
Here are some of the ways we’ll be managing the risk inside the “camp bubble”:
What will be different?
- We will be doing a full health screening for each camper prior to boarding the motorcoach. The 7:30 a.m. Milwaukee arrival time will remain the same to allow for each camper to be screened. The bus will leave at 9:00 a.m. In addition to our usual screening, COVID-19 specific questions will be asked and temperatures will be taken with a non-contact thermometer. Hands will be sanitized before boarding. Masks are optional. We are asking that only one adult accompany their child to drop-off. Departure times from Madison or Stevens Point will be adjusted to approximately an hour later.
- For drop-off and pick-up directly at camp, we also ask that only one adult accompany their child. You will be met in the parking lot for Health Screening. Parents will not be able to enter the camp facilities with their child beyond the parking lot this year.
- We have hired a full-time, live-in Sanitation Specialist this year! She will take the lead on ensuring extra sanitation and disinfection on a daily basis.
- We have added additional health care staff.
- We have made a former staff living facility available for potential quarantine.
- We have adapted our dining procedures for less contact with common items.
What will be the same?
- Your child will feel loved and cared for by our amazing, experienced staff
- Lots of outdoor activities and physical activity
- Hugs, sunshine and happiness!
- Opportunities to learn and grow and feel joy
- In-person friendships, conversations and laughs
So what do we do now?
- Fill out your Health History and Camper Questionnaire by May 26, 2020.
- Pay your final balance by May 31, 2020 or be prepared for it to be auto-withdrawn by 6 p.m. on May 31, 2020.
- If you choose to cancel, notify us in writing (email is fine) before 5 pm on May 31, 2020.
- Get ready for an amazing summer!!!